NATURAL REMEDIES – an artist celebrates the healing power of nature
Paintings by Barry Van Dusen
Show open September 10 - December 5, 2021
For most of us, the worldwide pandemic forced us to ‘hit the pause button’ on our busy lives. Many of us turned to Nature as a re-assuring and revitalizing space – a place to destress and lighten the mental fatigue.
During the pandemic, I made a habit of regular walks from my studio in Princeton, Massachusetts. These walks were my lifeline to the natural world. They invariably lifted my spirits and left me re-invigorated and inspired. All the paintings you see in my LOCKDOWN SUITE are based on subjects within five miles of my studio.
Other pictures in this exhibition broaden the scope to ALL of Massachusetts. In 2015, I began a five year residency project with Mass Audubon, traveling the state and producing artwork at all of Mass Audubon’s sanctuaries and nature centers. When you browse the pictures for FINDING SANCTUARY, notice the towns and cities I visited. They demonstrate that wherever you live in Massachusetts, your “Nature Fix” is not far away!
Barry W. Van Dusen is an internationally recognized wildlife artist living in central Massachusetts. He has illustrated many publications for the Massachusetts Audubon Society, and his bird illustrations have appeared in books published by the American Birding Association, HarperCollins, Princeton University Press and Cornell University (Comstock).
In 2014, Barry was named Master Artist at the annual BIRDS IN ART show (Wausau, Wisconsin) - an award which recognizes artists who have shown “outstanding achievement in using bird imagery in their artwork”. In the last decade, Barry has been Artist-in-Residence at several museums and botanic gardens around New England. His book FINDING SANCTUARY was published in 2020.
The following items in the show are for sale online, and at Fruitlands Museum Store, or by direct inquiry to Harriet Friedrich - firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRAMED ORIGINALS - PLEASE NOTE THAT FRAMED ART CANNOT BE SHIPPED!
PICKUP AVAILABLE AFTER DECEMBER 5TH AFTER THE CLOSURE OF THE SHOW
All pictures in this group were painted within five miles of the artist’s studio during the Covid-19 pandemic. All are the same size – FRAMED: 15” x 17”
- Cedar Waxwing and Winterberries (January 2020) NFS
- Chinadoxa (March 2020) $385.00
3. Female Bluebird (April 2020) $300.00
- Coltsfoot (April 2020) $385.00
- Yellow-rumped Warbler and Poison Ivy (October 2020) $400.00
- Black-throated Green Warbler in Autumn (October 2020) $400.00
- Pine Grosbeak and Crabapples (November 2020) NFS
- Downy Woodpecker in Cattails (December 2020) $375.00
- Red-headed Woodpecker with Acorn (December 2020) $350.00
10. Song Sparrow in Winter (March 2021) $300.00
- Palm Warbler (April 2021) $325.00
- Northern Parula and Apple Blossoms (May 2021) NFS
All pictures in this group were painted in Massachusetts during a 5 year residency project with the Massachusetts Audubon Society. These pictures are included in the book FINDING SANCTUARY, An Artist Explores the Nature of Mass Audubon, published in 2020.
- Barn Swallow on Nest, Dartmouth (16.5” x 19”) $425.00
- Beech Leaf Ballet, Wenham (16.75” x 20”) $450.00
- Calico Pennants, Fitchburg (17.5” x 20.25”) $550.00
- Eastern Cottontail, Sheffield (18” x 21.75”) $525.00
- Swallows Over Barnstable Great Marsh, Barnstable (17.25” x 20.25”) $500.00
- Cardinal Flowers, Canton (19.25” x 20.5”) $500.00
- Young Wood Ducks, Pittsfield (19” x 21.75”) $600.00
20. Water Striders and Dace, Hampden (19.25” x 23”) $550.00
- Shetland Sheep (“Hickory and Willow”), Princeton (19.75” x 23.5”) $650.00
- Greater Yellowlegs, Newburyport (20.75” x 19.5”) $650.00
- Striped Pipsissewa, Attleboro (20.5” x 16.75”) $600.00
- Young Starlings and Wild Grapes, Mattapan (21.25” x 25”) $700.00
- Young Phoebe, Hopkinton (23” x 19.25”) $575.00
- Atlantic White Cedar Forest, Barnstable (22.5” x 19”) $650.00
- Ebony Jewelwings, Worcester (15” x 18.75”) $285.00
- Fiddler Crabs, Wellfleet (17.25” x 19”) watercolor $285.00
- Osprey on Nest, Marshfield (17.75” x 21.25”) watercolor $575.00
- Sitting Tight (Great Blue Heron), Groton (18.25” x 21”) watercolor $475.00
Returns: All sales are final.
A Note About Pick-Up Orders:
- Orders placed during business hours: Your order will typically be ready for pick-up within 2 hours. (Ex: Place your order at 10AM Tues, order is ready at 12PM Tues.)
- Orders placed after business hours: Your order will typically be ready within 2 hours of business hours resuming. (Ex: Place your order on Sunday night, your order will be ready by 12PM Monday.)